In October 2019, Ministry of Taxes of Azerbaijan was incorporated into the structure of the Ministry of Economy as State Tax Service.
In May of 2020 the Charter of the State Tax Service (STS) under the Ministry of Economy was endorsed and Mr. Orkhan Nazarli was appointed an Acting Head of STS.
According to the newly adopted Charter, STS is the affiliated body of the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Azerbaijan responsible for carrying out state control over collection of taxes, mandatory state social insurance contributions, unemployment insurance payments, mandatory health insurance payments and any other mandatory payments prescribed by law and President’s act.
Thus STS’s main scope of activities include:
- Participation in elaboration of state tax policy and ensure its fulfillment;
- Implementation of measures aimed at development of taxation field;
- Participation in the process of drafting, as well as providing legal opinion and proposals on normative legal acts pertaining to taxation field;
- Collection of taxes, mandatory state social insurance contributions, unemployment insurance payments, mandatory health insurance payments and any other mandatory payments prescribed by law and President’s act;
- Carrying out state registration of commercial legal entities and public legal entities, as well as maintain state register thereof;
- Tax control in the manner prescribed by the Tax Code.
Acting Head of STS, Mr. Nazarli throughout his career held several senior positions in a foreign auditing company and later in civil service. Prior to his latest assignment, he has been serving as an Adviser to Minister of Taxes and Head of Main Department of National Revenues under the Ministry of Taxes.
We wish Mr. Nazarli good luck and success in his new position in hope of a fruitful contribution with IOTA.